Monday, June 13, 2011

Considering thyself.

Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

-Galatians 6:1

This takes me back a few (okay, several) years. I have always been blessed with really good friends. My patriarchal blessing counsels me to be selective and associate with people who have my same standards. In high school, about half of the people I spent my time with were LDS, and the other half might as well have been for the good influence they had on me (otherwise, they probably wouldn't have hung out with us). In college, pretty much every free moment was spent in a church-related activity (Institute, IWA, LDSSA, Relief Society, FHE, dances, callings, and other activities - they sure are good at keeping young adults too busy to get in trouble), and all of my friends were the same way. Then came a mission, then BYU Law (where I knew all of about 5 people who weren't members of the Church), then marriage and kids (which means I generally only hang out with moms from my wards).

Often I feel that the real challenge is finding someone who doesn't have my standards with whom I might share, and on occasion I've questioned whether I should try to find new circles of friends. But there is a danger in that, and I've seen it claim people I've known and loved. If you jump into a circle of people who are spiritually malnourished, it can turn into a black hole - sucking the light and life out of you. Thus Paul warns that we can't forget to maintain ourselves as we try to reach out. If, on the other hand, you draw someone with a spiritual hurt into a strong circle of good friends, they are easily uplifted and restored. I saw that multiple times in my group of friends at Long Beach State. They were amazing, and loved and lifted anyone who would come. So I suppose I want to have that again. It will require being in one place long enough to make like-minded friends (when will that happen?!?!), and then to reach out together to some who may need restoring. Kind of like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment