Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Peace of God.

I have been loving to study the epistles of Paul. They are kind of like reading a dear Abby column because they address specific problems of particular people and gives counsel about human problems that come up in the Church. Every day there is something new I want to write down, but because of life's commotion lately, I haven't gotten my scriptures and the computer together until tonight.

I am a worrier. Panic and anxiety run in my family, so I try to keep a check on my stress level, but I definitely worry more than needful much of the time. This was so, so needed lately.

Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
Be careful for nothing [or, "don't be unduly concerned about anything"]; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think of these things.
...for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Philippians 4:4-13

It's really the same lesson I've been taught time and time again - go to the Lord, do what needs to be done, and then let it go. Somehow I feel like letting go of the worry and stress is letting go of control--as if I were really in control of what happens =). But that trust is what it takes to receive that peace which passeth all understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment