Tuesday, October 7, 2014

What the Savior's Sacrifice can do

Oh Elder Packer, you know just what I need to hear.

If we are not aware of what the Savior’s sacrifice can do for us, we may go through life carrying regrets that we have done something that was not right or offended someone. The guilt that accompanies mistakes can be washed away. If we seek to understand His Atonement, we will come to a deep reverence for the Lord Jesus Christ, His earthly ministry, and His divine mission as our Savior.

Sometimes living back in my hometown brings back memories of unfortunate things I've said and done that could have hurt feelings and offended. There is a part of me that worries about what others might remember when we inevitably run into each other at Target or Costco or the park (i.e. the only places I go aside from Church). And I have a hard time not going back in my mind, remembering with a knot in my stomach foolish things said or done. Granted, I'm not talking anything horrible here, just things I wish I hadn't said. And I need to remember that the Atonement can right all those wrongs for me and for others, and that it should give me hope, not guilt, to think how far I've come and how much farther I can go.

On a mostly unrelated note, I love that our bishop recommended reading a conference talk each day in preparation for this conference; adding in the new talks just seems like the continuation of an established habit, and I hope I'll keep it up more consistently than in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment