Monday, September 19, 2011

Driving directions.

To give myself a little credit, I have studied my scriptures since August 29th. But I could do a bit better. I went to the temple Saturday morning in a kind-of last-minute trip, since I needed to go to Oakland anyway. Of course I was in too much of a hurry to stop and double-check the directions, so of course I took a wrong turn and got totally off track up in the hills. I generally knew where I was in relation to the temple, but didn't know which windy road would get me there. Eventually I found a familiar street, got oriented, and found the temple, but I missed the 8am session.

As I was driving frustratedly (quite the adverb, eh?), I thought about how that experience encapsulates some of my busy days. When I don't consult the scriptures prayerfully, I wander. I still know the general direction in which I want to go, but it takes a lot more time and frustration to get there, and my tardiness may lead to missed blessings. Why am I so silly to neglect something so important, or to only give it a cursory thought or glance? I don't think I can ever know the scriptures so well that I don't need to consult them to guide my day =).

1 comment: